Tomatoes are one of my (many) favorite things about summer. Our parents have grown tomatoes since before I can remember; when I was little (and even still) I loved being able to stop by the garden while playing outside and pop a few fresh cherry tomatoes in my mouth for a quick snack.
This recipe is a simple and quick one. Plus, in my opinion, anything with fresh tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella must be good; add the fact that it is grilled and I’m not sure you could go wrong. Luckily I have a basil plant growing at Scott’s (the boyfriend) house these days; it has been the best purchase I have made I think. My basil is a boxwood basil, so the leaves are pretty tiny, but I like the texture of it better than the big leaf basil.
While we were eating this the other night I asked Scott what his favorite recipe that I had tried on him so far was. He responded quickly, and said that this dish was his favorite. The marinade keeps the chicken incredibly moist and flavorful, and when combined with the mozzarella, tomatoes, and fresh basil each bite just melts in your mouth. It is absolutely delicious.
As I mentioned, it is a simple recipe. You marinade the chicken for a half hour or so in a sun-dried tomato dressing (I just had it marinade while the coals were heating up). Then, you grill one side of the chicken while you prepare the topping. The topping is just a couple of tomatoes, mozzarella, fresh basil, and a little bit of dressing. Once the dressing is mixed up and the chicken is ready to flip, you turn the chicken onto a piece of tinfoil on the grill (with the already grilled side up) and cover it with the tomato mixture. Then you grill the chicken until it is fully cooked. See, simple.
Grilled Bruschetta Chicken
Adapted From: The Girl Who Ate Everything
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ¾ cup KRAFT Sun-Dried Tomato Dressing (divided)
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, diced
- Place the chicken in a large resealable bag. Pour in 1 ½ cups of dressing (or enough to completely cover the chicken), seal the bag, and refrigerate for a half hour, or up to a full day.
- Prepare the grill and bring to medium heat. Place a large piece of tinfoil over half of the grill grate.
- Place the marinated chicken on the uncovered side of the grill, and cook for around 6-7 minutes (depending on size of chicken breast).
- While the chicken is on the grill combine the basil, mozzarella, tomatoes, and 1/4 cup of the remaining dressing. Stir until well combined.
- Turn the chicken over onto the tinfoil (grilled side up) and spoon the tomato mixture on the chicken breasts. Close the grill lid, and cook for another 8 minutes, or until the chicken is fully cooked.
And as always, please feel free to share!